If I had known then what I know now, what would I have told myself at 14? We had just moved to Ontario from Prince Edward Island, & I was thrown into a world of boys, sports, movies, & hormones that I had absolutely no experience with. I had left my puppy love behind & was completely unprepared.
What I wish I could have known:
- No one, absolutely no one can make you feel good about yourself except you.
- There is far, far more to be gained from being the bookish teenager that you are than there is from being popular & going to parties.
- Maybe try to learn about some music other than pop—there’s a world of music out there that you are going to be sorry that you missed out on.
- You are so perfect in every way. At 35 you are going to look back on your body & wish it were the same as it was at 14.
- No matter how stifled you feel in this small town, there are ways to express yourself. Stop caring what other people think. You will never please them. Dress for yourself & yourself only.
- Read Francesca Lia Block. This is what you need right now.
- Don’t go to college. You’ll know why soon.
- You know that thing that you love but you’re keeping it a secret? It’s going to be your career. Drive towards it.
- Learn more about this new thing called “the internet”.
- Don’t let boys distract you. Not a single one of them in your current field of vision has anything close to what it takes to match you in life.
- On the subject of boys: you are going to luck out, big time.
- On the subject of luck: you can create it. Think positively & draw good things towards you.
- When your friends are getting down on their looks, don’t participate. Encourage them not to participate, either.
- Your mom really does love you, very very much. She just doesn’t understand you. Start now in teaching her who you are & how you want to be treated.
- Here’s the best part: you’re going to have pink hair!