- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup boiling water (reserve)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 slice bread, torn up
In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the vegetable stock & the mushroom water to a boil. Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, & seasonings & cook until all the liquid has evaporated. While it’s cooking, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet until fragrant (but not burnt).
When the liquid has all been cooked into the mushrooms/evaporated, put the mushroom mix into your food processor with the remaining ingredients & process until it becomes a smooth paste.
Press into a loaf pan & refrigerate for at least two hours. Makes eight servings of approximately 130 calories each.