I’m not going to do that to you.
I don’t really make resolutions on January 1st – it’s not a time for renewal for me like it is for most people. For me, autumn & back-to-school time feel most like a new year, & it just so happen that my birthday falls on September 2nd, so I make birthday resolutions. One big one, every year. (Last year it was to get over my fear of travel, which I did by celebrating my next birthday in Las Vegas with my best friends!)
However, at the beginning of the calendar year I do take some time to look at my accomplishments over the previous year, & try to figure out where I want to go from there.
I posted about this on Twitter a couple of weeks ago, with a photo of the beginnings of my list. Jen Jarvis at evolovevolove was inspired to create her own, & went one step further & posted hers, so I thought I should follow suit & post my list as well.
My list for the year is for 100 Things. Some I’ve already done, some I’m terrified of! I’m also a little afraid of sharing this, because, you know, what if I fail.
I need to remember that it’s okay to not do everything on this list. That doesn’t make me a bad person. But it is nice to have something to be accountable to.
So, here we go!
1. Read 50 books – I came very, very close to this last year, & I think I can do it since I won’t be caught up in moving this year.
2. Do a detox – I’m not sure which one I’m going to try yet, still researching it.
3. Go down to 4 days a week at my day job.
4. Complete the 52 Weeks to Awesome course.
5. Launch website. DONE
6. Support small businesses – through Etsy, boutique shopping, staying away from chain stores.
7. Shop local – easier to do when I’m already thinking about supporting small businesses.
8. Eat 99% vegan (one cheat meal a month).
9. Eat 100% vegetarian – this will be harder that eating 99% vegan; I really sometimes crave bacon. I’m fine with sacrificing it, because I know it’s terrible on my body, but man I’m going to miss it.
10. Spend up to 10% of waking life on body, no more (1-1.5 hours/day) – anything more than this & I find I starting sounding like one of those people who only talks about going to the gym & their diet, & that is beyond boring!
11. Avoid spending money on bargain clothing (maximum $20/month) – again, boutique shopping will go a long way on this.
12. Switch to tea – this is going to be a little bit of a challenge for me, because I really enjoy coffee, but I know that green tea is going to be better for me in the long run.
13. Monthly crafternoons – Jaime & I have so much fun together when we do this!
14. Start building savings account DONE – set up bi-weekly automated withdrawals.
15. Be happy with my body – I’m definitely well on the way to this happening!
16. Dye hair every eight weeks – added this to my calendar to remind myself.
17. Apply for Fly Girl of the Week.
18. Begin a meditation practice.
19. Diligent BSEs – My mother was about my age when she was diagnosed with breast cancer; it’s high time I start doing mine.
20. Define my morning ritual – I feel so much better when I have a good morning routine, & mine is completely out of whack at the moment.
21. Host 12 dinner parties.
22. Host a clothing swap every four months – I’ve already had my first one, & it was so much fun! I can’t wait until the next one!
23. Invest 2 hours per week in the house – oh man my house is a disaster & I need it to be awesome, because it’s an awesome house & I want to share it with you!
24. Practice taking photos for five hours every month. I love taking pictures, & I know when I’m practicing I get better at it, so I want to spend time getting better.
25. Buy fresh flowers every two weeks. I absolutely love fresh flowers (especially ones which match my hair!), & I need to remember to make room for them in my budget & in my life.
26. Start drinking mineral water.
27. Host a killer yardsale. I co-hosted one last year which was super-fun, & I want to have another awesome one this year!
28. Have date night every week. Since Jesse & I have moved in together, we’ve been going out less. We need to rectify this. We’re working on it.
29. Monday is my day. It’s manicure day, & the time that I need to make sure I take for myself.
30. Build a fort. I am so inspired by some other blogger’s forts, & I think it’s such a sweet, romantic thing to do.
31. Be active on Twitter at least twice a day.
32. Fix phone. DONE – I actually got a new phone…
33. Post photos on Flickr. I’ve paid for a pro account, I should use it at least!
34. Write twelve Apartment613 columns. I’ve really been slacking over there!
35. Trim my own damn bangs. Seriously. Why do I pay for this?
36. Clean up Google Reader. I have starred so many things, I need to go through them & figure out what’s worth keeping!
37. Take my vitamins with more regularity.
38. Be diligent with the way clothes fit. Even though I get a bunch of stuff at clothing swaps & thrifted, I don’t have any excuse for them to fit poorly.
39. Three hours of private time with Jesse every single week.
40. Find a power word to inspire myself with for the year.
41. Finish one craft every week. I have so many which are half-started!
42. Go to a “psychic” to have my tarot cards read with a girlfriend. This seems like a ridiculous amount of fun!
43. Do the Charade Make Your Life Amazing 2012 course.
44. Write weekly “it’s done” lists. I get so caught up in to-do, I don’t relish my completing things. This seems like a good way to feel accomplished.
45. Make three new friends. It’s hard as an adult. There are a few girls I’ve got in my sights.
46. Happy-fy home & work offices. I need them to be places I want to be in.
47. Get a new computer.
48. Hug it out. More hugs. All the time.
49. Do Christmas pictures for holiday cards.
50. Add “Shop My Closet” to blog.
51. Write out affirmations.
52. Spend time with Ali every month.
53. Go to Montreal for a weekend with Jesse.
54. Take tennis lessons.
55. Wear sunscreen religiously.
56. Throw a masquerade party.
57. Go on a hot-air balloon ride.
58. Take Mom to tea at Château Laurier.
59. Only watch TV one day each month.
60. Start wearing hats.
61. Use Tumblr & Pinterest more.
62. Plan the week ahead on Sunday evening.
64. Weekly yoga.
65. Clean up iTunes.
66. Try sensory deprivation.
67. Improve spelling.
68. Improve grammar.
69. Improve on computer weaknesses.
70. Stop cussing.
71. Quit smoking once & for all, already!
72. More EFT, always.
73. Plan goals.
74. More magic all the time.
75. Learn to love exercise.
76. Drink 2 liters of water every day.
77. Figure out an e-mail organization system.
78. Write more haiku & tanka.
79. Remember that I can manifest anything.
80. Buy myself a bouquet of mylar balloons.
81. Make a list of people I want to know, then reach out to them.
82. Host a tea party.
83. An unmade bed is the first sign that my life is out of control. I need to make it every day.
84. If I don’t use is every day, then it needs to go away.
85. Switch to a no-fee bank account. DONE
86. Always bring my camera & business cards.
87. Give myself monthly pedicures.
88. Do a 365 project: outfit photos. I might even post them on here!
89. Less thought, just take action already.
90. Do a treasure hunt for Jesse’s birthday.
91. Freshen my creative space every six months.
92. Wait 48 hours before buying anything.
93. Pay attention to body language & posture.
94. Learn phrases in Russian & German.
95. Everything I do is a declarative statement about my personal style
96. Take a secret walk which ends in a picnic.
97. Credit card that gets points, move money to it, charge everything to facilitate more travel.
98. Start taking speedy morning walks.
99. Take a writing class.
100. Internalize that truly stylish people are always evolving in some new direction.
What about you, candy cup? Have you done any of the things on this list? Are there any you want to try? Or are you moving in a completely different direction?